Tuesday, August 3, 2010

US vs. Overseas Manufacturing


When I initiated the production phase of my inventor journey, I was well aware of the debate related to overseas manufacturing. Determined to manufacture my erasers locally, I was delighted when I found a tool and die company a mere 60 miles from my rural Northern California location. I worked with them to create the molds necessary to manufacture the erasers. Not long after the first batch of erasers was produced, the company went belly up financially, leaving me with molds but no way to manufacture the eraser.

I had just left my teaching job and had pumped every bit of money I had into KleenSlate Concepts. About that time, another inventor connected me with a manufacturer based in China. The price was right, and I decided that I'd have to let go of my intention to manufacture locally if I wanted to keep my dream alive. But I was not totally happy with this option.

When we were interviewing women inventors for The Right Sisters, I found that others struggled with this same dilemma: i.e., wanting to manufacture in the US but not being able to afford to on a shoe-string budget. The cost factor loomed large and so we headed out of the country.

However, there is an administrative burden incurred in managing a supplier thousands of miles away. We ended up dealing with quality and delivery problems at great distance and sometimes under the burden of a language or cultural handicaps as well as time differences. Not only did I discover it was more expedient to manufacture here, I also felt it was more politically correct. Certainly, this was a personal bias, but I wanted to say my product was made in the USA.

Well, I'm going to be saying that soon. My friend Wendy Steele, President of TapeWrangler-www.tapewrangler.com- and featured in The Right Sisters, manufactures her own line of products at her manufacturing plant in Traverse City, MI. Wendy's company has our molds now and we will soon be in production. Later this month, I'll be saying, "KleenSlate dry erase paddles are made in the the USA."

No comments: