Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Protect Your Ideas!

When I first launched KleenSlate Concepts, many people tried to discourage me from seeking a patent, saying the process was time consuming and of little value. So, why did I pursue this protection and what did I protect?

First and foremost, as an inventor with little capital but a great idea, I knew that trademarks and patents would clearly demonstrate my claim to the ideas I had developed. Without that protection, anyone could watch to see if I achieved market success with my product, and then produce it in competition with me without fearing my legal claim to the idea.

In my case, I protected my name, KleenSlate, with a trademark and my first product, an attachable eraser for dry-erase markers, with a patent.

I can’t emphasize enough the importance of protecting your ideas through trademarks and patents.

The United States Patent and Trademark Office website offers a wealth of information and resources to guide this part of your inventor journey. In addition to FAQ pages, online chats and special programs to lower filing fees, they publish a monthly newsletter, InventorsEye, a great publication for aspiring and accomplished inventors alike.

I am delighted to be the featured inventor in the "Flash of Genius" column in the July 2010 issue of the InventorsEye. Take a look at the article and the rest of the issue for advice and support for independent inventors.

No comments: