Saturday, July 17, 2010

Recognition Revisited

Late in the month of May, I was selected as the the 2010 Central California Small Business Person of the Year. Family, friends, and fellow small business owners gathered at the Tuolumne County Board of Supervisors' Office for the award presentation.

This blog post, however, is not an announcement about the award which was posted previously on Inventor Mentor. Instead I want to write about the mileage we inventors and entrepreneurs get from awards such as these.

I am a tremendously self-motivated person who can go, go, go under the duress of disgruntled customers, flawed product, employee turn-over, 100s of email messages every day, and phone calls that divert my attention from even the best laid plans. Even without recognition, I am purposeful and goal oriented, and though I may have a low moment or even a down day, I generally wake up raring to go.

But I just have to say, that getting the Small Business Person of the Year award has fanned the fire that propels me. Two months later, I am still feeling the momentum created by receiving not only the recognition of the Small Business Administration but also the hugs, handshakes and well wishes of the family and friends who gathered to celebrate this accomplishment. Every single congratulatory email and Facebook post ignited another ember of satisfaction.

I am grateful to everyone who has said "Good job!" and "Congratulations!" Recognition is truly an energizing force! I intend to let it drive me as far as it will take me.

No comments: