Wednesday, August 26, 2009

High Tech vs Low Tech Inventions

We live in the technology age, and I’m right up there with everyone else enjoying the benefits of high tech inventions, such as Skype and my Iphone. I’m well aware that technology can change lives. That’s why I eagerly read an article by Jennifer Lawinski entitled “Five Inventions That Will Change Your Life.

The funny thing is that when I read this article, I suddenly wanted to shout about the value of low tech inventions, particularly mine: the two-sided dry erase paddle.

The article described something called the cognitive radio—a communication device which is a cross between a walkie-talkie and a palm pilot. This high tech handset would allow communication during a disaster when the power is out and phones, including cell phones, and the Internet are not working.

As I read about the cognitive radio, my head starting screaming, “It’s paddle time!” I imagined folks sitting on roofs in a flooded out town. They held paddles pointed skyward with critical messages: “5 people here!” or “baby & disabled grandma.” Helicopters hovering overhead radioed this information to the rescue boats. KleenSlate paddles save the day!

I love technology, but let’s not forget that low-tech devices can be life savers too! How do you see KleenSlate saving the day? Or what about your low-tech invention? How will it change people's lives?

No comments: