Monday, August 24, 2009

Proactive Business Relationships

I’m so grateful for the solid business relationships I’ve established since first inventing the eraser for dry erase markers. Among the first of these important relationships was meeting and working with Michelle Payne.

I met Michelle at a NAWBO (National Association of Women Business Owners) California Chapter meeting. Michelle was smart and engaging, and when I learned that she did business coaching, I signed on.

Because Michelle lived more than 90 miles from me, we did most of our work via the telephone and email which saved time and money because we didn't have to travel. She helped me write my first business plan and taught me about things like pricing and the cost of goods. One of the best things we did was role playing exercises. She would play the buyer and I would be the seller. Practicing my pitch with Michelle on the phone was invaluable.

Michelle has moved on from business coaching to using her substantial skills to develop a non-profit organization called Parent Driven Schools. Last week, I was able to support Michelle’s new enterprise when KleenSlate was one of several sponsors at the premier of a documentary film about revolutionizing education by empowering parents. Check out the Parent Driven Schools website to see how you can involved.

Michelle embraces the idea of taking a proactive role no matter what your endeavor, be it building a prototype, writing a business plan, or securing the best education for your child. She’s part of my network of business relationships. I’m grateful to her and delighted to support her.

No comments: